Sunday, April 19, 2015

Start

 The author Veronica Rossi once wrote, "How do you restart something that had never been turned off?" That is a perfect introduction into my first challenge. How can I change the architecture of our houses if I can't change our idea of a home? So I will.

 I decided to start with the basics and a good foundation. If I want to change housing, I need to start in the same place as many others, the apartment. The idea of an apartment is that you rent a small space to live until you can get a house of your own. So, why not change that? My dream is that someday an apartment could be just as cachet as a nice 2 story suburban home.

 So, for my project, I have selected 3 major U.S. cities to design a newer, more efficient apartment for. Number one, New York City, because of its importance as a major social and economic center. Two, San Fransisco, because of its cultural diversity and proximity to nice beaches, plus Los Angeles it TOTALLY overrated. And last, Dallas, because it's just a cool city.

 Looking at previous attempts by former mayors and their lousy city planners, all 3 cities have the same 3 issues with housing, space, construction budget, and long term affordability. So, my task is simple, design a cheap, 1 bedroom apartment that maximizes on space and equity.

1 comment: